TAKE THE EDGE OFF
Option 1: OBJs and imported models:
Even OBJ models that are low-poly, and look faceted or very cut and angular can be made to look smooth by a technique that can round the sharp edges. This involves a little bit of math applied throughout the mesh that essentially blends the angles of the adjacent faces. In Simmetri that what’s known as the Generate Normals Mesh Modifier. Let’s give it a look.
- Double click an object. We recommend an angular low poly model, perhaps one made in Google Blocks.
- In the left listbox of the property editor panel, double click on the object’s name to expand its properties out below it.
- Double click on MeshModel to expand its properties.
- Click to select Mesh Modifiers then click the + at the bottom of the window. Click on Add GenerateNormals. In the right listbox, adjust the Threshold Angle slider.
SUBDIVIDE AND CONQUER
Option 2: Simmetri primitive entities:
- Draw a large Cylinder in the space.
- You’ll notice it’s not a perfectly smooth circle circumference... It looks as if its been chopped into shape with segments of straight lines.
- Open the Property Editor to view the Cylinder’s properties.
- In the left listbox, click on the CylinderShape property (Note: Shape property name will depend on the object’s entity type like Sphere or Box).
- In the right listbox, adjust the Radial Subdivision slider upward.
- You should see the edge cut lengths decrease in size and increase in count.
- Make Radial Subdivision to see what happens.