One of the most useful camera navigation techniques:
Right mouse button hold down > place center reticle on pivot point > while holding right mouse button, hold also "ctrl" button and move mouse to pivot.
- Hold the right mouse button down.
- Move the mouse slightly to reveal the circular 'reticle' in the absolute middle of the view. That's basically your navigation cross hair. This reticle is your pivot point.
- While still holding the right mouse button, swivel to place the reticle on an object you want to pivot around, or a spot on the terrain.
- Hold down the ctrl button, while continuing to hold the right mouse button: now move the mouse to rotate around that pivot point.
Pivot Around The Reticle
- Practice a number of times, try up and down. Try to swivel quickly to 180 degrees, opposite side of some object.
- Careful: Picking a spot way far in the distance near the horizon could have you pivoting around a point 100's of meters away. Maybe that's a good thing sometimes...?