Shared Creations and New Tools Abound:
Here's some instructions on how to sample Simmetri content from creators all over the world, select and experience shows (aka: universes, aka: experiences) as well as "add-ons" like new tools, tutorials, or other creative assets. This sharing system is built atop the Steam "Workshop."
Explore Button > Explorer > Browse > Subscribe > Load > Play
- Clicking the Explore menu at the top of Simmetri (or alt+e) opens the shared content Explorer: a browser for Simmetri shows/universes that have been shared to the community.
Browse Shows: aka "experiences" (default bottom tab labeled experiences):
Click a show thumbnail in the explorer to see its Title Card appear on the left: title cards, like a 'readme' file, contain show descriptions, Creative Commons Attributions, Instructions, show notes, URLs, etc.
Show Title Card and Explorer: "Trebuchet 1" selected.
- Featured are those selected by the Simmetri team due to themes, relevance, creative challenges and community learning objectives.
- Top 50 are the most popular in the community (most subscribed-to across Simmetri users)
- Subscribed are the shows you've subscribed to from the Steam Workshop
- Shared are shows you've shared to the Steam Workshop
- VR are those designed for experiencing in/with VR.
Browse add-ons: tools, tutorials, assets, script packages and more.
- Select the lower-right 'add-ons' tab.
- There will be ever more here as Early Release progresses. As the community drives ever-increasing clarity and demand for tools and features the Simmetri team will deliver them both the core app updates and here.
- Add-on Title Cards will describe how they work, how they install/where they show up in the UI, and how to use them.
- Subscribing to a "tool" add-on for example will download and install the tool into your toolbox; sometimes under a new category, sometimes into an existing category.
- Example: :"Sequencer" tool installs into your toolbox under the default/existing category 'sounds.'
To Play a Show:
- In the explorer on a show thumbnail, press the green "+" button to subscribe to a shared show:
- This will download the show locally to your computer in a local Steam workshop folder. (Average size of show = 50-100MB). If you want to create a local version
- Note: If the original show artist updates a show you are subscribed to, you will automatically receive those updates the next time you open this show from the Explorer.
- If you want to save a local version for remixing, etc, press "save." This version will not receive updates.
- Once subscribed: You'll see a blue check mark replace the green "+" button.
- Once downloaded: a play button appears.
- Press this show-listing play button to load the show into the Simmetri editor.
- Press play, present or 'VR present' in the bottom right of Simmetri to experience the show.
Unsubscribe from Content
- Click the blue check mark button to unsubscribe and the show will be unsubscribed (deleted from its temporary local storage on your machine). You can always resubscribe later. If you've saved the show locally using file>save, this action will not delete that file in that saved location - only in the temporary subscribed file location.
Direct to Simmetri Steam Workshop
- SHOW WORKSHOP PAGE: Click this button to travel to the show's page on the Steam Workshop:
- Here you can copy the URL to share with others.
- And post comments and questions to the creator.
- WORKSHOP: Click this button to jump to the Simmetri Workshop Steam page of the . Here you can browse all the shared shows and other media, navigate to Discussions, ask and answer questions, etc.
Subscribing From the Steam Workshop
- Clicking the thumbnails will show you more details about each experience.
- Subscribe by clicking the green "Subscribe" button with white plus sign.
- Subscribing will immediately download the Simmetri show to your computer (average 50-100MB).
- Press Escape to exit the Steam Community Hub Overlay
- A message at the bottom left of Simmetri will tell you when the show has been installed.
- Shows that you've subscribed to can be opened from explore>subscribed