Press "L" to toggle in and out of Local-Transform Frame:
- Press "L" to toggle between "world" and 'local" transform frames.
- World transform frame: Means that your changes to an object's position or rotation happen in accordance with the world grid / axes. XY and Z.
- Local transform frame: This means that your changes to an object's position or rotation happen in accordance with its own coordinate system.
- This coordinate system is baked in upon its creation.
- Think of this is the object's inherent "right, up and forward" (as well as the negatives of right, up and forward)
- By default, a cube is drawn with its "up, right and forward" corresponding to the words positive X, Y and Z dimensions respectively.
- As soon as you rotate an object in one or more dimensions, its up, right and forward will no longer perfectly correspond.
- Editing transforms in the local frame allow you to move or rotate upon the objects inherent axes, no matter where its located or rotated in the world frame.
GIF Depicting Local VS. World Position Transform:
GIF Depicting Local VS. World Rotation: